Monday, June 18, 2012

How to Convert Your Book from .epub to .mobi

Earlier this your I posted an article on Converting Your Story from Book to eBook. This time, I would like to let you know, fellow authors, that once you've got one ebook format, it is a piece of cake converting it to another. Should you get professional help? Heck, no!

Suppose you have your ebook in .epub format, which is an electronic publication standard used by reading tablets such as the iPad and the Nook. Now you wish to convert it to .mobi format, which is used by the Kindle. Here's what you do:

  1. Download Kindle Previewer for free. This is a graphical user interface tool, that emulates (on your mac or PC) how books display across Kindle devices and apps.
  2. Once it is downloaded, open it. Then click File->Open Book, and select your .epub file. Having being converted to .mobi in the background, your book is being displayed in the Kindle Previewer. 
  3. Quit Kindle Previewer. Go to the folder where your .epub file lives. A new folder has automatically been created there, and in that folder, you will find the automatically converted .mobi file. 
Walla!

Note: here is my interview on Ann Haines blog.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Dear Catherine, it is useful not only as a development tool (which is why Amazon gives it out for free) but also as a poor man's alternative to Kindle! I have given this advice to a reader who wrote to me from Uganda: If you do not have one of these gadjets, this should not stop you from reading ebooks--which are cheaper than books--simply open them on the Kindle Previewer...

      Delete
  2. Neat. My kindle for PC program stopped working so I've had to load my converted files onto my real kindle to preview them.

    ReplyDelete