Friday, April 6, 2012

A Flashback to Passovers Past

Here is a timely excerpt from Apart From Love, a flashback to Passovers past:


"If I were to focus strictly on my parents, ignore the entire background of this place, and let the clutter and the smell of it just fall away, this could take me back to a different time, a time in my childhood, when our kitchen table was set for the Passover meal. What comes back to me first is the tinkle, as my father finished blessing the wine, and clinked his glass against hers, against mine.
I remember: the table was draped, all the way down to the floor, with mom’s best, rarely used tablecloth, made of the smoothest ivory satin you ever touched. Dad sat at the head of the table, mom to his right, I opposite her. 
All day long she had been cooking, which infused the air with a wonderful aroma. In it you could detect a sharp whiff of horseradish and of gefilte fish and sweet brisket and red cabbage and roasted potatoes, all of which made my stomach growl. It went on growling until he finished reading the long, archaic text in the Hagadda, which meant little to me, except a vague notion of the utter futility of patience.  
I remember: my mother ladled the clear, golden chicken soup and set it here, steaming before my eyes, with three matzo balls floating inside, which was her way of giving. “It’s hot,” she said. “Make sure to blow on it first.” Yes, the smell of her cooking was good, but then, the taste! Just wait till you took the first bite—"


★ Love reading? Treat yourself to a family saga ★
The complete series: 

Volume I: 
Audible: USUKFRDE
AudiobookAmazon US ★ Amazon UKiTunes 
PaperbackAmazon ★ Barnes&Noble

Volume II: 
Audible: USUKFRDE
Audiobook: Amazon US ★ Amazon UK ★ iTunes
PaperbackAmazon ★ Barnes&Noble

Volume I & II, woven together: 
Audible: USUKFRDE
AudiobookAmazon US Amazon UK ★ iTunes
PaperbackAmazon ★ Barnes&Noble

"A literary symphony complete with a cast of likeable, bruised characters""

12 comments:

  1. I'm not even Jewish and was touched by this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This evokes such strong memories of my own mother's cooking that I wrote about in an essay, 'Gefilte Fish', which I've included in a new, short e-book of essays that have the mother-daughter thread linking them. Our connection indeed grows. Your writing is beautiful, Uvi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Deborah. These are strong memories that bind us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me want to take that bite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But then, that's when he wakes up to the present reality...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uvi,
    Enjoyed this. I'm busy cooking for Passover. The other evening I went to a Women's Seder with friends. It was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marilyn! And a happy passover to you.

      Delete
  7. Such wonderful memories. We celebrate Easter and I remember wonderful family Easters so I can relate to yours. Enjoyed this. Happy Passover to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rasma for reading this! And a happy Easter to you and yours.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing that memory. I too have memories similar to your, but had forgot to remember them. Thank you for reminding me. I will be reading this book soon. Happy Passover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian! And Happy Passover to you and yours...

      Delete