Monday, June 4, 2012

Rolling Paper Band

I am truly enamored with paper. I love folding it, rolling it, cutting it, spilling ink and paint on it, and studying the reflections it gives off. At times it stares back at me, especially when I can find no words to write on its pure, white surface. Here's how a simple, quick sketch of a nude transformed itself in my mind into a rolling paper band.



You will notice that this is no simple transformation, as the paper band goes deep into the internals of the body, which is no longer solid. Also, I staged the figure in an environment where light drizzles from above in glowing colors, and shadows of the paper band are cast all the way down, nearly reaching you.

To read my recent article about the creative process click here.

16 comments:

  1. Quite a rubbery thrust to creativity! :) Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Uvi, this is awesome! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite dream, as a child, was me in the middle of a room filled with paper of all colors and sizes...all rectangular, for some reason. I remember the smell of the paper, the richness of the various hues of purple...the stunning turquoise. To this day, paper excites me, beckons, even. No wonder I am mesmerized by trees.

    These pieces are stunning; each one a stand-alone masterpiece, yet together pure genius. Is this set available for purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for asking, but no--my daughter really liked the bottom one, which is one of my first oil paintings and incorporates sand as well. It hangs in her apartment. (However, when she married it got demoted to hanging in a barely seen corner. lol.)

      I never thought much of my charcoal sketches; and rarely have I demonstrated my creative process--which is why I am so surprised for the warm, positive response.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. ;)

      I will put together a book combining poetry and images of my bronze sculptures, and that would be the best (and cheapest) way for my readers to get my art. So is getting a paperback copy of Apart From Love, where the cover is based on my oil painting. I think you already have that, right?

      But this would not happen until the end of summer, which is when I know I will run out of steam promoting Apart From Love, and will crawl back into my cave, to start my next project...

      Delete
  5. Wow, You are so talented Uvi. All I ever did was making paper planes & paper boats, really love them even now LOL.
    Remarkable Creativity, Uvi. Excellent :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Shyam. I love paper planes and boats too...

      Delete