Monday, November 5, 2018

My heart went into overdrive until I talked it back

Chaos reigned. More men were fleeing the compound than were rushing inside. I rushed forward, but based on my mental picture of the basic layout and the smell of gas in the air, I guessed the explosion came from the kitchen at the back of the main house. If I remembered correctly, there was a service entrance there for food and supply delivery. God bless, Bella mia.
I veered away from the front door and ran toward the side of the house and hoped to hell I could make it to the back service entrance without anyone stopping me—and without anyone following me. Because there was a damn good chance I’d find Isabella there. Somewhere. Maybe driving a truck escaping down the service driveway to freedom.
That was the best-case scenario and when I rounded the corner, staying away from the hot burning building, I realized she would be lucky if she got out. The back wall where I swore the kitchen would have been according to the plans I saw, had been blown to bits. Fire and rubble filled my vision and my heart went into overdrive until I talked it back, remembered the mantra, the training to keep a cool head when everything around you was going to hell.
Men were shouting, wielding weapons. I lifted mine in case anyone got any ideas. Then I heard the cracking sound. Ammunition. The fire had gotten to an ammunition store.


Excerpt from Ace Under Fire
By Stephanie Queen


 Love Romantic Suspense? 
Get these 21 brand new novels, never before published, in one boxed set!
#1 Bestseller
No longer available 

No comments:

Post a Comment