Friday, March 28, 2014

Inside the head of a King

John Holland grew up in the Australian outback. His poems are about life and the question of where we fit into an uncertain universe. He has a lovely blog featuring his poetry and authors he enjoys. I am thrilled to find his review of Rise to Power:


5.0 out of 5 stars Inside the head of a KingMarch 28, 2014
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I approached this book from (I suspect) a different angle to most. I am not a religious man, though possibly spiritual (the jury is still out) I read it because I know the quality of writing this writer produces. I was not disappointed.

The power present in the book is as much the power of politics as it is the power of the supernatural. In fact, in some ways, the power of David stems from accident as much as from design.

What captured my attention, more than anything else, was the writer's skill of "dancing" with her subject. In Ms Poznansky's skilful hands David becomes one of us (the fallen?). No more than mortal. His mental strength is tested and fails... his life and the trials therein... are stripped of pretence and legend. What emerges is a starkly beautiful portrayal of a life where power and portent become all important. But, in the final analysis, impotent as well. At least, that was what I read into the words.

I am so glad I had the chance to read this. It touched me deeply on many different levels.

I would heartily recommend this book to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment