Saturday, February 27, 2016

In the spirit of spring: The warmth of the June afternoon enveloped her

The warmth of the June afternoon enveloped her as she stepped out of the building. It was humid out, and the damp air clung to her bare arms and gave her a chill. It reminded her of having menstrual cramps when she was a girl, and the hot, humid weather would make her feel like she was hot and cold at the same time. Comparing what she had just gone through with cramps brought a smile to her face. She took some deep breaths and started walking toward Broadway. For the second time in their life together, Pam could hear Sandra calling her name. Pam stopped walking and turned around to see Sandra running up the street, tears flying. When she reached Pam, she began begging her for forgiveness.

“Please, Pam, please give me another chance.” She stood with her head bowed and her hands folded in front of her, in a praying stance. Please, God, let this woman forgive me my sins. Pam was already calming down. But she was sincerely tired of the whole Jack- Sandra drama. She wanted to grieve the loss of her husband. She was tired of grieving the charade of her marriage.

“I will give you another chance if you give me some time. I hope I don’t sound like a mother here, Sandra, but you are very young, and although I think you are wise, you don’t know what I am going through. I need some time to sort out what I am going to tell my children who worship their father, or worshiped him when he was alive, and now will find that not only did he cheat on their mother, but will have a child that will be their brother or sister.” She felt strange discussing this on the street, Sandra standing there sobbing. She was not going back to Sandra’s apartment and wanted to give her some resolution before she left the city, because she was getting out. There was no way she could stay in Jack’s apartment tonight. “Go back home, dear, I want to get back and get on the road before traffic gets too bad.” She patted her arm and turned to walk up the street. 

Excerpt from a novel by Suzanne Jenkins included in At Odds with Destiny


Four amazing novels in one boxed set
Open it at your own risk:

At Odds with Destiny
★ Kindle  Nook ★ Apple 
★ Kobo ★ Smashwords ★ 

"An attention grabbing collection of books. Each compelling in their own right."

No comments:

Post a Comment