Saturday, November 30, 2013

Enjoy the darker twist, but without the gore

What a great gift I got tonight, a second review of Twisted (in audiobook edition, on the Audible website) titled: “Enjoy the darker twist, but without the gore."

Would you listen to Twisted again? Why?
Yes. It was thought provoking and at times achingly beautiful.

What other book might you compare Twisted to and why?
Perhaps to some of HP Lovecraft's light works, or Washington Irving's folk tales. Poznansky's works feature some little twist that turns the tale just slightly sideways, giving the reader a new way of looking at it. Lovecraft and Irving also do the same in many of their works.

Have you listened to any of Heather Jane Hogan’s other performances before? How does this one compare?
This was my first time enjoying Heather Hogan's narration.

If you were to make a film of this book, what would the tag line be?
Uvi Poznansky takes the reader through the odd, the dark, the twisted with intelligence and artful form.

Any additional comments?
I am hard put to say which was my favorite. I Am What I Am drew me in right away with the mystery of who this dead woman was. Not being familiar with Christian tales, I nevertheless enjoyed the rock and hard place Job’s wife found herself between. She did a lot of sighing, but if I were her, I would probably do so too….or cuss. I, Woman was sensual and full of creativity, just as I imagine sculpting with clay would be. Even though this was short, the main character grew over the space of the tale, at first thinking little of her clay companion, then coming to appreciate any communication with him, and finally, afraid of what lay before her, missing his constant presence. Perhaps this was my favorite.

The Hollow went by a little too quickly for me, leaving a rather ghostly impression on me. Perhaps it was meant to do so as the woman was in free fall. The book ended with an unlooked for surprise in the last story, The One Who Never Leaves. It is all told from a cat’s perspective, tamed, trapped in domesticity. Being the servant to several cats, I completely connected with this story, recognizing that predatory glint in my cat’s eyes, as captured by the disgruntled feline of this story.

In short, this is an excellent collection of short tales. Each was unique, standing on it’s own merits. I also loved that each was told through female eyes, allowing one more layer of connection.

The Narration: Heather Jane Hogan provided clear, distinct voices, and even went extra lengths to give Satan in the first tale an unearthly tone. My only minor criticism was that the pacing was slow; however this may have been by request of the author.


★ Love Horror? Treat yourself to a thrill 
FREE Kindle  Nook ★ Apple  Kobo ★ Google Play  Smashwords 
Audible: USUKFRDE
AudiobookAmazon USAmazon UKiTunes
PaperbackAmazon  Barnes&Noble 

"A sensitive melding of poetry, prose, and art"

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Daniel, for having a look around here, and for giving me this link, very nice article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover designer deserves an award. Certainly follows the theme well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! Just discovered your comment, after so much time... The cover is my own art.

      Delete